LEBANON, Ore. (AP) – Fire crews closed the Walmart superstore in Lebanon after responding to a fire inside the store.
The Lebanon Fire District says the fire started Tuesday afternoon in an aisle where pool-cleaning chemicals were stored, creating toxic smoke. The smoke was thick enough that crews had to use a thermal imaging camera to find the fire.
Crews said the store’s sprinkler system prevented the fire from spreading too far, and they were able to put it out.
Several nearby businesses had to be evacuated. There were no reported injuries.
The Oregonian/OregonLive reports Lebanon Fire District Battalion Chief Nick Tyler said they have not identified a cause, and as of about 6:45 p.m. Tuesday, fire personnel were still at the site investigating.
Walmart Lebanon posted on Facebook that the store would remain closed and would announce later when it would reopen.