Salem, Ore. — Willamette Valley Fruit Co., based in Salem, has initiated a voluntary recall of certain frozen fruit products due to potential contamination with Hepatitis A. The recall affects frozen strawberries and fruit blends containing strawberries grown in Mexico.
Hepatitis A is a contagious liver disease caused by the Hepatitis A virus, often transmitted through food. Symptoms can range from mild to severe, including fatigue, abdominal pain, jaundice, abnormal liver tests, dark urine, and pale stool. It usually manifests within 15 to 50 days of exposure. In rare cases, particularly for individuals with pre-existing severe illness or weakened immune systems, Hepatitis A infection can lead to liver failure. People who may have consumed the affected products are advised to consult their healthcare professionals or local health departments to determine if vaccination is necessary. Those experiencing symptoms of Hepatitis A should contact their healthcare professionals or local health departments immediately. Additional information on Hepatitis A can be found at www.fda.gov.
The following retailers distributed the recalled products:
- Walmart: Great Value Sliced Strawberries, Great Value Mixed Fruit, and Great Value Antioxidant Blend were available in select Walmart stores across multiple states from January 24th, 2023, to June 8th, 2023.
- Costco Wholesale Stores: Rader Farms Organic Fresh Start Smoothie Blend was sold at Costco Wholesale stores in Colorado, Texas, California, and Arizona from October 3rd, 2022, to June 8th, 2023.
- HEB: Rader Farms Organic Berry Trio was distributed to HEB stores in Texas from July 18th, 2022, to June 8th, 2023.
To date, no illnesses have been reported in connection with this voluntary recall.
The specific recalled products are as follows:
- Great Value Sliced Strawberries in a 64oz (4lb) 1.81kg plastic bag with the following codes:
- Lot: 4018305, Best By: 7/19/2024
- Lot: 4019305, Best By: 7/20/2024
- Great Value Mixed Fruit in a 64oz (4lb) 1.81kg plastic bag with the following codes:
- Lot: 4024205, Best By: 7/25/2024
- Lot: 4033305, Best By: 8/3/2024
- Lot: 4025305, Best By: 7/26/2024
- Lot: 4034305, Best By: 8/4/2024
- Lot: 4032305, Best By: 8/2/2024
- Lot: 4035305, Best By: 8/5/2024
- Great Value Antioxidant Fruit Blend in a 40oz (2lb 8oz) 1.13kg plastic bag with the following code:
- Lot: 4032305, Best By: 8/2/2024
- Rader Farms Fresh Start Smoothie Blend in a 48oz (1.36kg) plastic bag containing six 8oz plastic pouches, with the following codes:
- Lot: 4224202, Best By: 2/11/2024
- Lot: 4363202, Best By: 6/29/2024
- Lot: 4018302, Best By: 7/19/2024
- Lot: 4043306, Best By: 8/13/2024
- Lot: 4313202, Best By: 5/10/2024
- Lot: 4364202, Best By: 6/30/2024
- Lot: 4042306, Best By: 8/12/2024
- Lot: 4060306, Best By: 8/30/2024
- Lot: 4314202, Best By: 5/11/2024
- Lot: 4017302, Best By: 7/18/2024
- Rader Farms Organic Berry Trio in a 3lb (1.36kg) plastic bag with the following codes:
- Lot: 4153205, Best By: 12/02/2023
- Lot: 4058302, Best By: 8/28/2024
- Lot: 4283202, Best By: 4/10/2024
- Lot: 4059302, Best By: 8/29/2024
- Lot: 4284202, Best By: 4/11/2024
Consumers are advised to check their freezers for the recalled products, refrain from consuming them, and either dispose of the items or return them to the store for a refund. Different lot codes or purchase dates are not subject to the recall.
Willamette Valley Fruit Co. is cooperating fully with federal health officials and distributors to ensure proper awareness of the recalled products. Consumers with additional questions can contact Willamette Valley Fruit Co. at 800-518-9865, Monday through Friday, between 8am and 5pm PST.