Multnomah County, Oregon – The man who kidnapped and murdered an elderly woman will spend the rest of his life in prison. 89-year-old Marcine Herinck’s body was found in the trunk of a car during a traffic stop at a Southeast Portland gas station last September. Timothy Mackley plead guilty to multiple charges. Marcine’s son Jeff read a victim impact statement, he calls Mackley – quote – “an animal to the family, and he hopes he rots in hell.”

Read more from Multnomah Co. District Attorney’s Office

Timothy Mackley pleads guilty to aggravated murder, other charges; sentenced to life in prison

Today, Multnomah County District Attorney Rod Underhill announced that 59-year-old Timothy Mackley pleaded guilty to the aggravated murder of 89-year-old Marcine Herinck.

Mackley also pleaded guilty to one count of murder, one count of kidnapping in the first degree, one count of burglary in the first degree and one count of abusing a corpse in the second degree.

Mackley appeared before Multnomah County Circuit Court Judge Eric J. Bergstrom and received a life sentence with a minimum of 35 years confinement before parole eligibility. After that time, should he apply for parole, the Oregon Board of Parole and Post-Prison Supervision shall determine whether or not to grant release.

A copy of the victim impact statement, which was read by Ms. Herinck’s son, Jeff, can be obtained by clicking here. The family of Ms. Herinck has approved its release.

By pleading guilty, Mackley admitted that between September 18 and September 24, 2018, he unlawfully and intentionally caused the death of Ms. Herinck by intentional torture; that he unlawfully and knowingly entered and remained inside her residence with intent to commit the crime of kidnapping; that he unlawfully and intentionally, and without consent or legal authority, took Ms. Herinck from one place to another with the purpose of terrorizing her and that he unlawfully and intentionally removed and carried her corpse.

This investigation started on September 19, 2018 when Ms. Herinck’s family reported her missing. Her son went to her residence in the 1500 block of Northeast 150th Avenue in Portland, Oregon to check on her. Her garage was found open and the garage door unlocked. Inside Ms. Herinck’s home, nothing appeared to be disturbed. This was unusual behavior for Ms. Herinck.

Ms. Herinck’s family told law enforcement the last time anyone had talked with her was at approximately 7 p.m. on September 18, 2018. Inside the residence, law enforcement located Ms. Herinck’s purse, keys, cellphone and identification.

The Portland Police Bureau’s Missing Persons Unit was notified of the situation.

During the investigation into Ms. Herinck’s disappearance, law enforcement spoke with two individuals who volunteered with Ms. Herinck at the Portland Adventist Community Services thrift store. After those conversations, law enforcement learned that Ms. Herinck was seen speaking with a customer at the thrift store on September 18, 2018. That person was later identified as Mackley.

Law enforcement made immediate efforts to locate Mackley. Those efforts resulted in a possible location of Mackley in southeast Portland.

On September 24, 2018, at approximately 8 p.m., law enforcement conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle that Mackley was driving at the intersection of Southeast 92nd Avenue and Southeast Holgate Boulevard. Inside the vehicle’s trunk, law enforcement located a decomposing body wrapped in a tarp. The remains were later confirmed to be that of Ms. Herinck.

At the scene of the traffic stop, while in custody, Mackley made unsolicited statements that included things like he met a real nice woman several days ago, that he invited her over to his place and that “I did something I shouldn’t have, and I’m guessing that’s why you guys are here now.”

Several chunks of broken concrete pieces, a shovel and a claw hammer were also located inside Mackley’s trunk.

The Oregon State Medical Examiner’s Office reported Ms. Herinck died of multiple blunt force trauma.

The Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office thanks the members of the Portland Police Bureau and Oregon State Medical Examiner’s Office for their dedicated efforts investigating this case.

The District Attorney’s Office has no additional comment on this matter.

More about: