Portland, Ore. — It’s called Big Fix PDX and it is going to be a drivers nightmare.
Another nightmare starts for you, on July 25, 2018 the ramp from I-84 West to I-5 North will be closed. That closure will also last two weeks until August 6th.
Here’s ODOT spokeswoman Kimberly Dinwiddie to help explain what is happening and why.
As you heard, we may see 3-hour dive times from I-205 to I-5 on I-84.
KXL’s Brett Reckamp goes in-depth with ODOT’s Don Hamilton about Big Fix PDX during Beyond the Headlines:
Here is a full list of the work that will take place this summer:
I-5: Columbia River to Moda Center
This project will pave 6 miles of I-5, including some ramps, between the Interstate Bridge and Moda Center, improve sidewalks and curb ramps, replace median barriers and upgrade signs.
- Night lane closures and ramp closures: Summer 2018 to Fall 2019.
- I-5 northbound full closure between Marquam and Fremont Bridges:
- Jul. 27 (10 p.m.) – Jul. 30 (5 a.m.)
- Aug. 3 (10 p.m.) – Aug 6 (5 a.m.)
For more details visit: https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Projects/pages/project-details.aspx?project=17516
I-5 at I-84
This project will repair and resurface the bridges that connect I-84 and I-5.
- Expect a two-week closure of each bridge in July and August.
- I-84 westbound to I-5 northbound ramp is closed: July 25 (10 p.m.) – Aug. 6 (5 a.m.)
- I-84 westbound to I-5 southbound ramp is closed: Aug. 17 (10 p.m.) – Aug. 27 (5 a.m.)
- There will be nighttime lane closures other dates.
For more details visit: https://www.oregon.gov/odot/projects/pages/project-details.aspx?project=19531
I-84 (102nd to 148th)
This project will install, replace, repair and upgrade existing interstate signs between NE 102nd and 148th Avenues.
- Expect full closures of I-84 at night only and lane closures during the day.
For more details visit: www.tinyurl.com/i84SignReplacementODOT
I-205 (Johnson Creek Blvd. to Glenn Jackson Bridge)
This project will pave 9 miles of I-205 between Johnson Creek Boulevard and the Glenn Jackson Bridge, including some ramps, build auxiliary lanes in three locations, install ODOT RealTime electronic signs and make pedestrian improvements at Glisan Street.
- Expect full night closures of ramps and lane closures on cross-streets near ramps.
- The northbound Exit 23B to U.S. 30 Bypass and Killingsworth Street will be closed 24/7 for 14 days, dates are to be determined.
- Night time weekdays (Sundays -Thursdays): 8 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. (single lane closure) and 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. (double lane closure).
- Night time weekends (Fridays): 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. (single lane closure) and 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. (double lane closure times); (Saturdays): 11 p.m. to 8 a.m.
For more details visit: www.i205construction.org/glennjacksontojohnsoncreek
I-5 Paving and Auxiliary Lane Project
This project will add new auxiliary and exit lanes and repave and modify on and off-ramps on I-5, from Highway 99W to I-205.
Road work and closures started in February 2018 and will occur through Fall 2019.
- Nighttime lane closures on I-5 starting Spring 2018. Closure will start as early as 8 p.m.
- Reduced parking at Trimet’s Tualatin Park and Ride at SW 72nd & Bridgeport Road.
- There will be intermittent night and weekend ramp lane closures
- Expect two consecutive full weekend closures of the Lower Boones Ferry Road southbound on-ramp in summer 2018.
- Expect one full weekend closure of the Lower Boones Ferry Road northbound off-ramp in either summer 2018 or summer 2019 (but not during the same weekend as the on-ramp closures)
- There will be a sidewalk closure at the Lower Boones Ferry Road southbound on-ramp during construction, starting in February 2018. A pedestrian detour will be in place.
For more details visit: www.tinyurl.com/I5ODOTProject
I-5: Interstate Sign Replacement Project
This project will install, replace, repair and upgrade existing interstate signs and sign structures to meet current federal standards, along I-5 between Kruse Way and SW Terwilliger Blvd.
For more details visit: www.tinyurl.com/i5SignReplacementODOT2