A Busy 48 Hours For Lebanon Fire Fighters

Lebanon, Ore. — The Lebanon Fire District has been responding to an unusually high number of fires in the area. Within a span of fewer than 48 hours, the District has responded to three fires in Lebanon and one in Sweet Home. The first two fires occurred on March 26 in Lebanon. Crews had to battle a blaze in a pole barn full of RVs, cars, and other obstacles, and later, a fully-engulfed RV in a rural part of the District.

On Monday evening, Lebanon Fire District sent Aerial Truck 34 (T34) to assist with a structure fire in Sweet Home, in accordance with their mutual aid agreements. The District also sent a fully-staffed ambulance to cover any EMS calls for service during the fire. Meanwhile, several volunteers and off-duty staff covered Lebanon.

The final fire occurred on Tuesday morning, just before the 7:00 AM shift change, which meant crews that battled the previous night’s fire had to respond again. First-arriving units found a residential home on Maple Street showing flames and smoke from both the home and attached garage. Though firefighters were able to bring the blaze under control, the firefighting efforts were challenged by the older construction of the home and a large volume of personal contents in and around the structure.

The cause of these fires remains under investigation, and the Lebanon Fire District is reminding residents to be cautious when using alternative home-heating methods like space heaters. The District is also stressing the importance of regularly testing and maintaining smoke alarms. If anyone needs assistance with smoke alarms or wishes to schedule a free home safety evaluation, they should call the Fire & Life Safety office at (541) 451-1901.

The Lebanon Fire District expressed gratitude towards PP&L for securing electrical, Albany Fire Department for sending one engine and one medic to cover the district, and the City of Lebanon for providing traffic control during the fires. One resident was evaluated for a minor burn injury on the scene but did not require medical transport, and no firefighters were injured.