PORTLAND, Ore— Some Portland State students had a rude awakening this morning when smokes alarms began blasting throughout in their building. Firefighters with Engine house 4 invited the group to come in and keep warm while the source of a carbon monoxide leak was looked for. After an hour and a half the all clear was given and everyone was able to return to their unit.at NW apartments on SW 5th and College. NW natural turned off all the gas for a time. it’s believed the boiler room was the source of the emission.