Five Sickened in Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
By Jeremy Scott
Altamont gated community
HAPPY VALLEY, Ore. -- A family of five was rushed into a hyperbaric chamber after they were poisoned by carbon monoxide in their home at the Altamont gated community on Southeast Constance Drive early Tuesday morning.
"We had multiple patients experiencing very similar symptoms. We got our gas monitors out and our carbon monoxide alarms instantly went off registering 120 parts per million," said Brandon Paxton with the Clackamas Fire Department.
A teenager was unconscious. Everybody else was alert as they went to the hospital. Doctors expect the three adults and two kids to make a full recovery.
A pool heater that was not properly vented is to blame. The CO level was 22 times the maximum level allowed.
"That's signifcant in the fact on a given day, your home has between .05 and 5 ppm just with normal operating utilities. We were far exceeding the normal limits for carbon monoxide in the home," Paxton added.