Cigarette Starts Fire 24-Hours After Disposal
A fire started by a cigarette dealt $20,000 worth of damage to a Lake Oswego apartment. It happened Wednesday, but you have to go back to Tuesday to get the beginning of this story. Gert Zoutendijk with Lake Oswego Fire says the cigarette that started the fire was actually put in a flower pot 24-hours before the fire started.
"What happens to these flower pots that have no flowers in them and don't get water, is that they just really pulverize and get so dry that with the root they get just enough air in them to keep smoldering" Zoutendijk told KXL.
Fire fighters arrived quickly and had the fire out in 20-minutes. Zoutendijk says most people are shocked to hear a cigarette can sit that long and still start a fire.
"A lot of people don't understand that it's not the cigarette itself that smolders that long, it's just the dry dust of the flower pot".