Girl Catches Fire In Hospital Bed
An 11-year-old Klamath Falls girl getting treatment at Doernbecher Children's Hospital
after falling and hitting her head at home suffered a setback when she caught on fire in her bed.
11-year-old Ireland Lane was making crafts for the nurses when she ran into the hallway engulfed in flames. Her father asleep in the same room woke up, ran into the hallway and jumped on his daughter to smother the flames.
Stephen Lane says she was using hand sanitizer to clean her bedside table and it may have gotten on her shirt. He thinks static electricity ignited the flammable cleaning solution. The Oregon State Fire Marshal is investigating.
Ireland suffered third-degree burns to nearly a fifth of her body. She's being treated at the Legacy Emanuel Burn Center and has a long recovery ahead.
"That this would happen anywhere, much less our hospital, was just awful," said M.D. Stacy Nicholson. "Our hearts go out to the child and her family."
She says the hospital will make changes if Doernbecher is determined to be at fault.