Salmonella Outbreak Closes Vancouver Restaurant
Clark County has closed a Vancouver restaurant after eleven confirmed cases of salmonella. Five others are suspected. All were traced to On The Border Mexican Grill on 164th Avenue, although the source has not been found.
Anyone who ate at the restaurant between September 20th and this past Monday that got sick is encouraged to contact their doctor. Salmonella is a bacterial infection most often spread through eating and drinking.
"Symptoms can include severe diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, fever, chills, abdominal discomfort and occasionally vomiting," says Clark County Health Officer Dr. Alan Melnick. "The symptoms generally appear one to three days after exposure."
Most people recover without medication, and the risk of it spreading to the general public is low. The best advice from health officials is to wash your hands, especially after using the restroom and before handling food.
Authorities are interviewing workers and performing a detailed inspection before allowing the restaurant to re-open and start serving again.