Essential Tips For Great Ribs!
My standard for judging most barbecue joints is
based on how smokey, flavorful and tender their ribs are. To me,
RIBS are quintessential barbecue. I consistently receive calls and
emails from people who are still having troubles cooking their ribs.
There are a number of factors that come into play why their ribs don’t
come out delicious and tender!
1) Cooking at too high a temperature! (225-275F)
2) Not cooking long enough—thinking they can get em done in a couple of
hours-not for spareribs you won’t. Babybacks-can be easily cooked in 3
3) Not purchasing ribs with good marbling.
4) Smoking too early in the cooking process!
5) Improperly using a rib rack---always “head” side down, bones up!
6) For best bark construction---paint the ribs every half hour with bbq
sauce-but this is also why you want to keep the temperature low.
7) MIST the ribs with apple juice/water or whisky or some other fruit juice/water combo
8) Gotta be mindful of the outside temp---when it’s broiling
outside-what do you think is happening inside your cooker? Cool it down,
or realize that it won’t take as long for ribs to cook!