PPS Sells Old Washington-Monroe HS Building
October 14, 2013, 3:25 pm
By Rosemary Reynolds & Jeremy Scott
PORTLAND -- The building at Southeast 14th and Stark owned by Portland Public Schools
that has sat mostly vacant for decades has changed hands.
Later this month, Venerable Properties
will be the new owner of the former Washington-Monroe High School. They paid $2 million for the property and plan to renovate it with both retail and office space.
The company is
seeking historical status for the building, which was built in
1906 before burning down in a fire in 1922 and then rebuilt within two years.
The last time classes were held there was 1981. The district has used the facility for administrative purposes before it was vacated in 2003 and has been empty ever since. They plan to use money from the sale to repair and upgrade other schools that need it most.
A few years ago, Portland Parks and Recreation bought the field in front of the school for more than $4 million. They plan to build a community center there.