Illegal Firework Explodes In Man's Hand
July 2, 2012, 3:17 pm
A Rock Creek man got a painful lesson on how not to light fireworks after an illegal firework exploded while he held it Sunday night on Northwest Mahama Place.
27-year-old Curtis Januik was holding a launching tube for a mortar in his hand as he lit the fuse and it exploded quicker than he expected. Januik's right hand was seriously injured. He had surgery to reattach his thumb. Doctors expect that he'll be able to regain most of the use in his hand. Mr. Januik says he learned his lesson and was not cited. His other illegal fireworks were seized.
Oregon law does not allow fireworks that fly, explode and move across the ground more than 6' or over 1' in the air.