· 5 pounds corned beef brisket
· 6 peppercorns, or packaged pickling spices
· 3 carrots, peeled and quartered
· 3 onions, peeled and quartered
· 1 medium-sized green cabbage, quartered or cut in wedges
· Melted butter (about 4 tablespoons)
· Place the corned beef in foil with the peppercorns or mixed pickling spices (in supermarkets, these often come packaged with the corned beef), add carrots, onions and cabbage. Seal all the edges tightly. Place on grill and using medium heat,cook 5 hours, or until tender. Open foil and smoke for 1-2 hours.
· Transfer meat and vegetables to a platter and brush the vegetables with the melted butter. Serve with boiled parsley potatoes, cooked separately. (The stock can be saved to add to a pot roast or stew instead of other liquid.)
Serves 6, with meat left over for additional meals.