Lights Out For Heceta Head Lighthouse
January 18, 2012, 8:58 am
A one-million dollar restoration project to renovate the Heceta Head Lighthouse light is expected to start in February. The beacon light was turned off January
10 on the
crumbling 1894 lighthouse in preparation of the project. The light will remain off for the duration of the work, which could take up to two years to complete.
Although the lighthouse tower will remain closed for
restoration work, the parking lots and trail are open now that the
first phase in the major renovation at the site has been completed.
Phase one involved reshaping and repaving the west parking lot to
improve drainage and repair erosion damage, a chronic problem at the
The historic assistant
lighthouse keeper’s house, which the USFS operates through a
concessionaire as a bed and breakfast operation, remains open through
the renovations. The park welcomes more than 800,000 visitors each year.